Most effective League of Legends team compositions of all time
Article written by Zeeshan | Posted on: April 6, 2013
There are many different team compositions that one can try in League of Legends because of the diversity in the game mechanics but this doesn’t mean that every Team Composition is supposed to be successful. Because League of Legends has a set of game mechanics, you can remix them but cannot alter them. Every champion in LOL has a role, for example: Shen is a partial support type tank who can go for Solo-Top, Jungle or even as a Tank-y Support, but on the other hand he cannot be played as Attack Damage Carry (AD-Carry) or Ability Power Carry (AP-Carry). Moreover, most of the League of Legends champions differ from other champions in a unique way, which actually help a lot in making strategic decisions and selections.
This is because, RIOT Games want him to be like this and have defined game mechanics for Shen. Now it’s up-to the player to decide that how they will play with Shen and what type of team composition would require Shen to be a part of. And that is exactly what I am going to target in this article.
And we are all aware of that some champions are not as diverse as others are, for example: Ashe can be an awesome Attack Damage Carry with that Global Arrow (R) which can be used for initiation as well as to escape. You can go mid with her but you soon may realize that the opponent AP-Carry does more damage with their 1 Skill Shot that you will be able to do with Volley + 1~2 Auto-attacks, which would leave you as an easy opponent for them. Nearly same things will happen in Jungle, Solo-Top and Support roles.
Okay so we have discussed what individual level roles actually are in League of Legends, so now we move to the Team Composition part. Team Compositions are very important in League of Legends because even if you get all 5 powerful champions from the pool of champions provided by LOL, it still won’t guarantee a win. In team composition 2 things matter the most:
1. Synergy between champions
Skill shots, Buffs and Auras of selected champions combine together to give additional control and options other than just damage.
2. Proper selection of roles
One should analyze what their team composition requires and select accordingly.
League of Legends have evolved a lot and the best part about it is that RIOT keeps on changing the game dynamics. Therefore, you can never say that something will be permanent throughout the life of LOL. New items keep on coming, changes and remakes of left-alone champions, game balancing and new possibilities/strategies are introduced all the time.
i have played way too many games, some with good teams, some with bad teams, some with good team compositions and some with bad team compositions; watched many matches (ranked spectate & championship matches of many different teams). I came to a conclusion that I will try to share with you guys. Let’s get started.
There are 4 different Team Compositions that are popular, effective and have their own benefits according to situations, if their potential is utilized properly.
1. Poke Composition
A Team Composition that has champions who can poke with their un-targeted long ranged skill shots . e.g: Nidalee (AP nidalee can harass from long range with her Javelins, and they hurt a lot), Lux (lux’s light binding + lucent singularity can lock down enemies as well as do a handsome amount of damage) and Varus ( Can damage from long range with his Piercing Arrow (Q) and have a fair range on E).
If you combine such champions while keeping the “General Team Composition Rules” in view, you will notice that team-fights will finish even before they could actually start. This type of team comp gives you a very good control of how you want your enemies to react or get zoned.
There is one major component of this team composition, and yes that is Nidalee. If you could manage to get a good nidalee on your side, it’s probably over for your enemies. But you can try various other mixes too. If I would go for a Poke Composition, this is what it would look like:
One of these:
- Elise (Detonating spider is good poke, and her spider web can be used to lock down an enemy and collapse on them.
- Khazix (Evolve W 1st, very good poke tool in mid-lane poke war).
- Jayce (Q’s through ‘Accelerating Gate’ deals heck-a-lot of damage).
One of these:
- Nidalee (Those Javelins will make your enemies cry)
- Xerath (extreme long range poke and damage).
One of these:
- Malphite (Tank-y who can initiate well and lock down targets for some split-seconds, taking the advantage of his Ultimate-R will win you the game ).
- Maokai (Tank-y and can be used for both offense and defense).
- Jayce or Khazix if you want more poke from jungler.
ADC Bot Lane:
One of these:
- Caitlyn ( nice poke with Q and long range R)
- KogMaw (living artillery and long range auto attacks).
- Ezreal or Varus.
Support Bot Lane:
One of these:
- Sona ( great poke in lane & a team-fight ultimate)
- Zyra (Crowd Control & awesome poke with plants).
- Lulu (well you know where lulu excels. Aggression + Crowd Control + Defensive Ultimate)
2. Assassin/Aggressive Composition
A team dominated by Assassins which work as a back-bone of the team. Such a team composition is high risk high return by nature because Assassin Champions are very mobile but extremely vulnerable to Crowd Control and can be caught in sticky situations.
The core benefit of such a team composition is that you can focus and burst down almost any champion of your choice but requires a good planning and co-operation. Another core benefit of this team comp is that if a good initiator champion is provided, they can prove to be real pain in the ass. This is an offensive composition, and can excel if you successfully gain early game benefit and carry it towards the end without throwing it off.
Not the most recommended, but sure if you know that you are stronger than your enemies in terms of co-ordination. . If I would go for a Poke Composition, this is what it would look like:
One of these:
- Fizz (High burst damage and a good initiating ultimate).
- Akali (She becomes a true assassin once she hit level 6 but quite vulnerable before she actually reach level 6).
- Khazix (a very dependable assassin. with high damage output and chasing/escaping mechanism).
One of these:
- Ahri (high burst damage & highly mobile due to her ultimate).
- Kassadin (Extremely mobile champion due to his ability “Riftwalk” who can blink into the team fight, complete his job and get the hell out of there in a blinks).
- Talon or Khazix (high mobility and high burst damage output).
One of these:
- Nocturne (a very good jungler with an awesome ultimate that can be used for ganking and initiating fight).
- Lee Sin (Tank-y bruiser type assassin who is highly mobile and can jump in and out of combats easily).
- Hericam (durable as well as good damage output. Also has potential to initiate and chase down the enemies).
ADC Bot Lane:
Attack Damage Carry will be pretty generic pick and depends on the champions you pick for Top, Mid and Jungle. If you are going for fully aggressive composition, then Vayne or Tristana will fit well.
And if you go with semi-aggressive team comp, then Miss Fortune or Ezreal will be a good pick.
Support Bot Lane:
Just like ADC, you got to pick a support that will Mix well with Team and the ADC itself( in order to find success in laning phase).
3. Global / Semi-Global Presence Composition
As the name suggests, such team composition has its main focus on ganking and counter-ganking through picking champion(s) with global presence through their skills in-order to help their team-mates whenever they need. This is also known as ‘surprise attack /defense strategy’ when enemies lease expect it (this can also be achieved through Summoner Spell : Teleport, which i will discuss in another post) . Biggest benefit of picking such League of Legends champions is that their player have to care less about their positioning while triggering their Global Presence On or Off and more about communication, analysis and coordination.
Globally present League of Legends champions can be used in three different ways:
1. Initiate fights by accompanying their allied champions using their global abilities. (e.g: Shen using his ultimate to shield and help the turret-dive initiation done by Bot lane. Nocturne ganking bot lane by using his ultimate to surprise attack from out of the enemy sight range).
2. Helping or saving their allied champions by using their global abilities. Or counter gank. (e.g: Soraka’s ultimate that globally heals all allies for a certain amount of HP. Shen’s ultimate can be used to shield an ally to save them).
3. Kill Securing. (e.g: picking kill on an escaping enemy with Ezreal’s ” True Shot Barrage ” or with Karthus’ Ultimate).
By playing around with these 3 ways, you can easily make a bridge towards your Win.
While selecting Champions for team formation, you can select between Shen (Jungle or Top), Twisted Fate (Mid, semi-global ultimate), Nocturne (Jungle, not even semi-global but still long ranged), Karthus (Mid), Ziggs (Mid, semi-global ultimate), LUX (Mid, not even semi-global but still long ranged), Gangplank (Top or Jungle), Pantheon (Top or Jungle), Ashe (Bot), Ezreal (Bot), Draven (Bot) and Soraka ( Bot support). Your team selection can consist of combinations of these champions with other champions from League of Legends Champion pool on the basis of how good their synergy is. And on the basis of what kind of strategy do you want to take along with you to the game, i.e. Offensive approach or Defensive approach.
4. Utility oriented Composition
There are certain Sub-strategies to this one because of the possibilities and approaches to this team composition provided by League of Legends in its game dynamics. The two major approaches through champion selections are:
1. Champions selected for Team composition possess Aura and Buff like abilities to support their team mates.
2. Champions with Crowd Control abilities to help their allies for catching or escaping in sticky situations.
Most of the time, purpose of Bot-Support is to provide utility abilities to the lane itself and team. And if you get Mid, Top or jungler to have support/utility like ability to strengthen the overall durability and offense of your team then this type of composition can be classified under the utility oriented composition in league of legends.
1. One of the most popular example is Taric and Jarvan 4 in same team. This composition was called “Double Armor Aura comp”, because both Taric and Jarvan 4 had AOE armor auras that actually stack with Aegis of Legion too. And doing Physical damage against such a team would be so useless because they have so much physical damage reduction. Whereas, because of the recent changes made to Taric(AOE armor aura nerf) and Jarvan 4 (No more Armor aura through ‘Demacian Standard’s active) have almost killed this Combo. But it used to be very popular in Ranked teams and championship matches.
2. Zyra in the mid lane, provides hard Crowd Control to overall team composition. That can be used both for escaping and chasing down enemies. In sticky situations when enemies have oracles and clear your all vision on and around Baron Nashor and try to Bait it; Zyra’s seeds are your best friend.
3. Kayle (Mid or Top) can do wonders with her Ultimate ‘Intervention’ which actually provides you with the ability to save an ally from dying or a perfectly timed Intervention can even waste targeted ultimates/skill shots of enemy champions. Can also heal and buffs movement speed of a single ally which can be used for helping them to escape or helping them to chase down the enemies.
4. Oriana + Xin Zhao combo. It is one of the best initiating combos because of the nuisance both of them can bring to enemies. Oriana’s shield on Xin Zhao followed by Xin’s initiation. The synchronization between their slows, knock up and pull can actually lock down 1 or more than 1 enemy champions. Since Oriana’s ball adds extra Armor and Magic resistances to whoever it is attached to, makes makes her an even greater threat if combined with Xin Zhao. She also provides movement speed buff to team. Therefore, you can use her in many different ways.
And this is not the end, League of Legend’s Champion pool provides you with so many champions having utility like abilities that you can use for providing utility & support to your team in order to strengthen your over-all team’s performance. All you need to do is to select champions that support the strategy you have for your team.
League of Legends is amazingly diverse and has no defined path, strategy or champion selection to victory. But going with a good strategy and team composition can give you an edge and ability to secure win. But the most important ingredients in making a strategy successful is, Cooperation and Coordination. Whereas, all other things add more value to it. Well that’s it for my analysis of ‘Most popular and effective League of Legends team compositions of all Time‘ and hope that you like it, in-case you have any questions or suggestions regarding this topic; please leave them in the comments section below.